A British woman was temporarily paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair for four months after being bitten by a mosquito in Australia, the Sun reported.
Days after being bitten, Natasha Porter, a 23-year-old from West Sussex, England, was unable to lift her arms. Soon after that, she was paralyzed from the neck down.
Initially, doctors suspected Porter was having an allergic reaction. But Porter was eventually diagnosed with a condition called Guillain-BarrÃ© syndrome, which doctors believe was triggered by the mosquito bite, according to Nature World News. The syndrome causes the body’s immune system to attack itself.
“I was so scared,” Porters said. “I remember feeling guilty, because I knew I was going to have to call my parents. I was thinking, ‘How do I call them up and say I might be dead in a few hours?’”
Gradually, Porter began to regain feeling and has now made a full recovery – and plans to continue travelling the world.
“I don't want to waste any time anymore, and I hope I have become a better person. I just want to live as much as I can, spend as much time with my friends and family, just enjoying my life,” Porter said.
source : http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/06/05/woman-paralyzed-after-mosquito-bite/